Electroless nickel Plating
ELECTROLESS NICKEL PLATING
Electroless Nickel Plating is the deposition of a nickel-phophorous alloy onto a metal substrate without the use of an electrical current. The electroless nickel plating process utilizes an autocatalytic chemical reaction to deposit a reliable, repeatable coating of uniform thickness. Electroless nickel demonstrates excellent corrosion protection, with similar lubricity properties to plated chromium. Electroless nickel effectively coats parts with sharp edges, deep recesses, seams, threads, and complex geometries.
BRIGHT offers varying alloys of nickel and phosphorous, including:
- High Phosphorus (10% to 13%): superior corrosion protection; most resistant to acidic environments; greater than 65 Rc hardness with post-plate thermal treatment; amorphous deposit structure (the higher the amorphous nature of the electroless nickel coating, the better the corrosion protection)
- Medium Phosphorus (5% to 9%): best appearance; mixed amorphous/crystalline deposit structure
- Low Phosphorus (<5%): highest as-plated surface hardness (up to 60 Rc); most resistant to alkaline environments; best solderabilaty; lowest electrical resistance; crystalline deposit structure
- Nickel-Teflon®: increased lubricity; low reflectivity; can reduce or eliminate the need for liquid lubricants in some applications (see nickel-Teflon page for more information)
BRIGHT ELECTROLESS NICKEL PLATING CAPABILITIES:
- Plating thicknesses from 0.0001 to 0.0050 inches
- Precision masking for selective plating
- Post-plate hydrogen embrittlement relief
- Hardnesses up to 70Rc (high phosphorous with post-plate bake)
COMMON APPLICATIONS OF ELECTROLESS NICKEL COATINGS:
- Oil & Gas Components: For corrosion protection in harsh undersea and underground environments for parts such as valves, pumps, pipe fittings and others.
- Molds & Dies: Corrosion protection minimizes erosion and abrasion. Low coefficient of friction improves release.
Bright Oilfield Supplies and Services, an ISO 9001:2015 & API certified company, established in 2010 in the United Arab Emirates, providing engineering solutions to the oil & gas / marine industry